The city of Cupertino has a guideline for the minimum requirements for removal of an existing swimming pool. In all cases, a construction permit is required.
The plan requirements are:
1. Complete swimming pool (SP) permit application
2. Three (3) sets on min 8-1/2" x 11" sheets of site plan showing all property lines, existing structures, location of existing swimming pool and setback dimensions from pool to existing structures and property lines.
If the pool shell is to remain:
1. Drill min of three (3) - 12" diameter holes evenly spaced along the center line of the pool bottom.
2. Backfill remaining pool shell with 3/4" max size crushed rock for a min 8" deep at bottom of pool.
3 Backfill to be moistened and tractor rolled (or tamped with a wacker compacting plate) into place.
4. Two inspection required. Initial inspection to verify required drain holes at bottom of pool. Final inspection after all work complete.
5. No fill dirt to be stored on street or public right-of-way without encroachment permit issued by Dept of Public Works.
6. Owner agrees the backfill over existing swimming pool shell may have DIFFERENTIAL SETTLEMENT and therefore agrees to use area for landscape only and not for any structural or floor slab support until entire pool shell removed and backfill certified with 90% compaction.