Tuesday, May 9, 2017

HVAC Licensing Requirements for California

The California Contractors State License Board (CSLB) regulates and licenses the state’s construction industry, which includes the HVAC industry (i.e. Heating and ventilation systems and their installation, maintenance and repair). The remit of the CSLB covers 44 different license classifications and HVAC is one of them. The board operates different classifications for the different construction trades. The HVAC trades are classified as a Class “C” Specialty Contractor’s License and given a designation of C20 – Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating and Air-Conditioning Contractor. No educational qualifications are necessary to take the licensing examination in California. However, relevant work experience is a requirement for the board to accept your application for licensing. This is known as your “qualifying experience”. “You must possess at least four (years) industry experience. Only experience earned at a journeyman level is accepted as a minimum. Further experience in roles such as foreman, supervisor, contractor or owner-builder will also apply. Any experience gained as a trainee or during an apprenticeship is not adequate for licensing purposes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment